IPR Working Group Meeting
On June 12, the Chamber hold its IPR Working Group Meeting devoted to consideration of IPR Reform in Ukraine based on the presentation drafted earlier by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and updated by the Chamber.
Opening the meeting, Ms. Nadiia Vasylieva, Chamber Board Member, General Manager of Microsoft Ukraine, briefly presented the key messages provided in the presentation. She highlighted the necessity to voice strongly the position on the further development of IPR reform. The Chamber witnessed that there is lack of unified approach to IPR reform. Three years ago such initiative was launched in SIPSU while the Working Group has been created what lead to the creation of Draft Laws. However, this activity has no significant outcomes. Ms. Vasylieva presented briefly the outcomes of the meetings with MEDT and SIPSU on IPR Reforms and vision of these state bodies.
Among the additional problems in the IPR sphere, the Members defined the fact that there is no responsible body since November 2014 over the legalization of software and other goods.
During the meeting the Chamber Members agreed on the following actions plan:
- To request from MEDT the reasons of the problems existing in IPR reform during the following meetings with MEDT;
- To collect comments on the development of agro sector in terms of IPR protection from Law firm “Pakharenko & Partners”;
- To inform the MEDT on the fact that the industry faces the problem with taxation audit and accountability of the intangible assets in the process of public procurement as the part of IPR reform;
- To consider the Draft Law on Cybersecurity prepared by ISACA and the version dated from March 2015;
- To update Chamber position to the Draft Law “On Internet Piracy”;
- To hold the meeting with the Head of SIPSU Ms. Zharinova on June 19;
- To support the previous version of the Draft Law “On Internet Piracy” dated October 2014;
- To collect the proposals regarding IPR reform in the direction of combating counterfeited products in Ukraine from Law office “Pakharenko & Partners”.