Meeting with Maksym Martynyuk, First Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine
On October 30 the Chamber held a meeting with Maksym Martynyuk, First Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine. The meeting was devoted to discussion of topical issues in agriculture, food & beverage and seeds spheres.
Among key speakers were:
- Maksym Martynyuk, First Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine;
- Olena Kovaliova, Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine;
- Viktor Dovgan, Deputy Minister of Infrastructure of Ukraine on European Integration;
- Volodymyr Lapa, Head of the State Service of Ukraine on Food Safety and Consumer Protection;
- Oleksiy Malakhov, Deputy Director of Center for Transport Logistics, Ukrzaliznytsya.
As a result, the following was agreed:
- Chamber Members emphasized on a difficult situation on the market of rail freight transportation in the high season and importance of urgently improving the situation. Experts of the Chamber Agricultural Committee addressed Mr. Martynyuk with a request to raise the issue of problematic situation with agrarian logistics at the CMU level.
- Chamber Members informed the leadership of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine regarding current situation with “gray” grain market. The Chamber Agricultural Committee experts has already developed a list of proposals on improvement of the situation. In their turn, Maksym Martynyuk mentioned that the Ministry is working on different scenarios and their possible economic effect in order to find a model that will make existence of the “gray” grain market.
- It was agreed to create a Working Group which will include representatives of the business community and the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine with the aim to improve and finalize the Draft Order of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine “On Approval of the Instruction on Conducting the Quantitative and Qualitative Accounting of Grain and Products of Its Processing on the Grain Storages and Grain Processing Enterprises”;
- Experts of the Chamber Agricultural Committee emphasized on the importance of adoption of Draft Law #6673 “On Amendments to Some Legislative Acts of Ukraine regarding the Settlement of Some Phytosanitary Procedures”. The Chamber addressed Mr. Martynyuk with a request to support Draft Law #6673 and advocate for its soonest adoption in the Parliament. In addition, Chamber experts together with representatives of the State Service for Food Safety and Consumer Protection developed the Draft Order of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine “On Amendments to the Procedure for Conducting Second Phytosanitary (Arbitration) Examination” which we hope will be adopted by the Ministry.
- Experts of the Chamber Seeds Committee emphasized on the importance of Draft Law #6606 “On Amendments to Article 4 of the Law of Ukraine "On Pesticides and Agrochemicals" on Import of Crop Protection Products to Ukraine” for improvement of conditions for conducting agrochemical business in Ukraine. The Chamber addressed the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine with a request to support the abovementioned legislative initiative and to advocate for its soonest adoption in the initial edition.
- Experts of the Chamber Seeds Committee had an opportunity to inform the leadership of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine that it is very important to continue work on development and adoption of the bylaws for crop varieties registration and to ensure respective follow-on revision of already created drafts. Experts of the Chamber Seeds Committee are ready to continue active participation in this process. The result of fruitful cooperation between business and the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine will be improvements in the process of new crop varieties registration in Ukraine.
- Experts of the Chamber Food & Beverage Committee stressed on the crucial need of the state program on support of dairy industry, including farming, to meet a consumers’ demand in dairy products of high quality and safety as well as to fulfill an export potential of Ukraine. In this context, we hope for the effective implementation of state support programs in accordance with financing of the dairy industry envisaged by the State Budget for 2018.
- Participants of the meeting also discussed a position of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine regarding the Draft Order of the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Services “On Approval of the Rules for the Acceptance of Sewage to Centralized Drainage Systems and the Procedure for Determining the Amount of the Fee Used for Over-Regulating Discharges of Sewage to Centralized Sewage Systems" in terms of risks for the food industry – lack of transition periods, mandatory provision to construct local wastewater treatment, ambiguous requirements to contaminants. In this regard, Mr. Martynyuk expressed his support to the Chamber position.
- It was also agreed that the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food will be engaged in working on the issues on limitation of movement of milk tankers and packaging waste management.